When the bus was making its way out of the stadium, several fans had chased after it, but no rock was thrown while the vehicle was in the stadium premises. © BCCI

When the bus was making its way out of the stadium, several fans had chased after it, but no rock was thrown while the vehicle was in the stadium premises. © BCCI

A rock was thrown at a window on the Australian team bus following the side’s eight-wicket win over India in the second Twenty20 International at Barsapara Cricket Stadium in Guwahati on Tuesday (October 10).

The incident happened in the night, when the team was on its way back to the hotel from the stadium, which hosted its first international match. It came to light only when Aaron Finch tweeted a photo of the shattered glass window.

The Cricket Australia website mentioned that no one was sitting in the seat next to the window when it was broken by the rock “believed to be roughly the size of a cricket ball”. Cricket Australia offered no statement at this point in time.

There were no injuries to any of the players or the support staff travelling on the bus, although the players were unnerved. Two people have been arrested as police investigations into the incident continue, Press Trust of India reported.

When the bus was making its way out of the stadium, several fans had chased after it, but no rock was thrown while the vehicle was in the stadium premises.

Rajyavardhan Rathore, the Indian Sports Minister and an Olympic silver medallist in shooting, said there were tight security arrangements in place for the Australian team as well as for the players taking part in the Under-17 FIFA World Cup.

“Personal security of visiting athletes & teams is extremely important for us,” he tweeted. “Guwahati stone-throwing incident NOT reflective of our security measures. Aus team & FIFA are content w/those. India remains a graceful host.”

R Ashwin, the Indian offspinner who is not part of the limited-overs squads at present, also urged restraint and responsible behaviour from fans.

 

 

The episode, however, throws a wrench into the plans reportedly taking shape to allow the stadium to host a few Indian Premier League matches next season.

“There is a high possibility of three matches being played here in the month of April-May,” an official from the office of the sports minister of Assam had told Wisden India, ahead of the rock-throwing incident.

“Talks are on with the Assam Cricket Association regarding the matches. They are coordinating with the Board of Control for Cricket in India. Once the schedule is out, the picture will be clear.

“The ground might also be the home ground of Rajasthan Royals. They need a home ground now and the option is being given to Guwahati.”

This marks the second time in the past five weeks that the Australian team’s bus had been attacked. A small rock was thrown at a window during the second Test in Bangladesh early last month after the first day’s play in Chittagong.

The bus suffered only minor damage then and Bangladesh authorities consequently increased their security presence.