The proposed charity Twenty20 game in Colombo on September 8 between a Sri Lanka XI and a World XI has been postponed, Sri Lanka Cricket said on Tuesday (August 29).
The match had been earmarked to raise funds for flood-affected children in the country as well as those hit by drought in other parts of Sri Lanka, and had been formally announced during the third Sri Lanka-India Test in Pallekele earlier this month.
However, SLC said on Tuesday that the game had been postponed at the recommendation of their Technical Committee. Ashley De Silva, the CEO of Sri Lanka Cricket, said, “The Technical Committee of SLC has evaluated the factors involved and feel quite rightly that we need to give our players a break after several months of intense cricket. In addition to this, a couple of key players like Mahela Jayawardena and Kumar Sangakkara are also not available on this date, so we felt that we could afford to wait a while and play this game at a more conducive time.”
When the match was first announced, SLC had played their cards close to their chest, not willing to reveal the names of the players that would constitute the World XI. There was greater clarity once the game was put off. “I must extend my sincere thanks to the players who confirmed their participation – Robin Uthappa, Suresh Raina and Yusuf Pathan (India), Shahid Afridi, Misbah-ul-Haq and Abdul Razzaq (Pakistan), Tymal Mills (England), Graeme Cremer (Zimbabwe), Luke Ronchi (New Zealand), JP Duminy and Farhaan Behardien (South Africa) amongst others, as well the respective Boards for the support extended,” de Silva said.
The purpose of this game was to raise funds for disaster affected, with a special focus on children who have lost their parents, single mothers and the elderly who have been left destitute, the SLC added, and reiterated their commitment to stage the game at a more convenient date. “We have by no means abandoned this plan, and we will definitely be playing this match at the earliest possible date,” said de Silva.