Pakistan’s efforts to host World Twenty20 champions Windies for a three-match Twenty20 International series have hit a roadblock. The tour, originally scheduled for later this year, has been put off for future, West Indies and Pakistan media said on Tuesday (November 7).
SportsMax.TV, the website of the official Caribbean broadcaster, said security was the main concern. “Multiple sources said security is the main concern of the regional bodies, suggesting that several big-name Windies players are not keen on visiting Pakistan, especially in light of what was reported by Riyad Emrit when he played in Afghanistan earlier this year.
“The Trinidadian said he and his teammates narrowly escaped a suicide bomber while playing in the domestic league in that country.”
Sources from the Caribbean also said the Pakistan Cricket Board’s decision to rely on their own security personnel and not employ the services of Eastern Star International, owned by international security expert Reg Dickason, was one of the reasons for the players and FICA, the international players’ body, not being happy.
Eastern Star had been phenomenal in overseeing the security arrangements for the Pakistan Super Leaguge final and the World XI-Pakistan T20I series in Lahore earlier this year.
Dave Cameron, the Cricket West Indies (CWI) president, toured Pakistan to have a first-hand look at the arrangements during the World XI series last month, but had categorically warned that it would be a big challenge to convince the Windies players to tour Pakistan.
Most of the Caribbean Twenty20 players are also busy playing in the Bangladesh Premier League, and are not ready to bear a loss.
Persistent smog, a combination of smoke and fog, is also hampering the staging of matches in Lahore, the only venue cleared by ICC-backed security experts.